Are you struggling to write some new poems? Wrestling that giant bear that is writers block? Then try my challenge.
This was heavily inspired by a Thirty Day Photo Challenge, which circulated Facebook around 2009/2010. I never got round to doing the actual challenge, because I don’t really like photos of myself but I did come up with an alternative.
The Thirty Day Poetry Challenge.
The idea is you tackle the task of writing poems for the thirty tasks. You can whack it in thirty days or in thirty weeks, it doesn’t matter as long as it’s encouraging you to write. I’ll write about my own experiences with it in a separate blog post, but I’ve not completed it yet. Could you be the first to complete my challenge?
Your poems can take any title, and can approach the task in fresh ways. You should number your poems matching the task so you can keep track of which is which. The point is to encourage you to write, so not all of your poems will be gold but you’ll get a few good nuggets from it. It would keep things varied if you avoided writing about the same subject twice, but if you absolutely have to go for it!
If you’re writing again, you’re winning!
HERE IT IS!
1. A poem of ten lines about yourself.
2. A poem about or inspired by the person you have been closest to the longest.
3. A poem about or inspired by your favourite TV Show.
4. A poem about your night.
5. A poem about or inspired by your favourite memory.
6. A poem about or inspired by the person who’s gotten you through the most.
7. A poem about the person you do crazy things with and what those crazy things are.
8. A poem about or inspired by something you hate/fear.
9. A poem about something or someone you love.
10. A poem about or inspired by your favourite band/artist.
11. A poem inspired by what you want to do before you die.
12. A poem about someone you couldn’t imagine your life without.
13. A poem about someone or something that inspires you.
14. A poem about something that has made an impact on your life recently.
15. A poem about or inspired by your insecurities.
16. A poem about/inspired by/addressed to your past self/selves.
17. A poem about the place(s) you’d love to travel to.
18. A poem about something you wish you could forget
19. A poem about or inspired by something you wish you were better at
20. A poem about or inspired by your favourite book
21. A poem about something(s) you wish you could change.
22. A poem about your day.
23. A poem about someone or something that means a lot to you
24. A poem about or inspired by a family member
25. A poem about or inspired by things you are afraid of
26. A poem about or inspired by things that always makes you smile
27. A poem about or inspired by someone you miss
28. A poem about or inspired by someone you would love to trade places with for a day.
29. A poem about or inspired by your most treasured item(s)
30. A poem about or inspired by something that makes you laugh.
So once you’ve finished, or as you go, you can post them up online or try and get them published. Give me a shout if you’ve put up one of these poems so I can take a read and give it a share 🙂
Happy writing everyone!